Monday, February 17, 2014

Comments on "Porto Rican Folklore" by Peter J. Hamilton

I found this article very interesting because I am currently learning about how the Americas came to be. It's cool to learn how colonization has affected folklore traditions. The section about witches stood out to me the most. The beginning of this article states that Puerto Rico was settled by Spaniards with some "Indian and large negro admixture." The West Indies have been known to practice witchcraft derived from Africa according to Hamilton. I believe this is where talk of witches and witches would have stemmed from. 

The three folktales weren't as I thought they would be. They seemed very dry and straight forward. I feel like death or pain was something spoken of very easily. I also felt as though just the folktale "The Ant in Search of Her Leg" had a message I could take with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment