Monday, February 24, 2014

Comments on "America Indian Myths and Legends"

I enjoyed reading the myths that were selected for this book. The introduction, however, I found a little boring. Some parts stood out to me like how Native Americans follow the pace of "Indian time" and how there is a strong association between geography and myths. Some other parts I found unnecessary.

One thing that opened by eyes was how the author explained that depending on where the Indians lived, the legends would vary. I probably would have just bunched all Indian myths into one category before reading that.

The myths themselves for the most part seem to try and explain something that is already in existence. First with "When Grizzlies Walked Upright," the myth explains why grizzly bears walk on four paws and don't speak as well as where Indians originated from. Then with "The Quillwork Girl and Her Seven Star Brothers," the myth explains how the big dipper was formed. In "How the People Got Arrowheads," the myth explains where people got their arrowheads to hunt with. I also felt like when I was reading these myths it is like I can hear someone reading them. They sound like they were originally spoken and then recorded through word of mouth.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, very original folktales explaining how things come to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I definitely agree with you regarding Indian folklore, I would never have realized that location played such an important role in the formation of myths and, as a result, I would have lumped all stories into one category as well.
    Also, you are spot on about the how the legends are read, if I close my eyes I could easily picture a Native American reciting the tale to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline,
    Location plays a huge part in the development of myths. This remains true on a macro level (like the difference between similar tales from two cultures) and even on the micro level. For example, people who live in buildings in New York will not be able to explain that Santa Claus comes through their chimneys and lands in their living rooms. Maybe instead he comes through the window to deliver presents. However, the people who live in houses across the street will be able to use the more "traditional" version of the myth, given that their houses have chimneys.

    This was a great point that you brought up, and one that can be used to analyze trends in myths and culture throughout different sections of New York.

    ReplyDelete