Monday, February 3, 2014

Comments on "Aesop, Aristotle, and Animals: The Role of Fables in Human Life by Edward Clayton


In the beginning of this article Clayton explains the popular view of how fables were perceived. This view is that “the strong rule and the weak must obey or suffer, and that ultimately it is strength that matters more than anything else.” I was curious to see what Clayton believes the purposes of the fables were and how he would prove it.  In my opinion he does a great job in piecing together a valid argument. Step by step he proves his point that the fables teach “the values of equality and justice.” It all makes sense but I don’t think many people saw it this way. First, I think these fables have many different lessons and it depends on each person's view of them. Second, I think Aristotle’s view of animals is interesting but I wouldn't base my whole argument off of something one person said. Clayton says Aristotle represents the kind of audience that interests him. This just narrows the audience down. Intellectual people may have viewed these fables the way Clayton believed so but that doesn’t mean they were the only people to read them. To me at first glance the fables have an obvious theme of strength and weakness. I believe many others viewed it this same way. Third, Clayton makes a very good point I just feel like a few times his arguments are based on assumptions. For me, a lot of this article is about trusting what the author says. This topic is something I don’t know much about at all so I don’t want to just believe anything I read even if he is right.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Caroline, I agree with your view on Clayton's essay. Clayton often backs up his claims with outside information. I agree with the idea that every person has their own view of these fables. Each person learns a different lesson from reading the same fable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caroline,
    I believe your view on Clayton's article is correct. Until I read this article and Clayton explains how fables could have alternative meanings I always perceived them as only having one lesson.

    ReplyDelete